For the topping:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter,
3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
1 medium pineapple sliced
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue cooking, without stirring, for a few more minutes or until bubbles just start to appear around the outside edges of the mixture (the sugar starts to caramelize).
- Then remove from heat, and pour into your prepared cake pan.
- Evenly arrange the fresh pineapple slices on top of the sugar mixture. (Can also garnish with cherries.)
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture little by little alternately with the milk.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites just until the whites hold a firm peak.
- With a large spatula gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter in two additions. Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 – 55 minutes, or until the top of the cake has browned and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan (a toothpick inserted into the cake (not the pineapple) will come out clean).
- Remove from oven and leave it to cool.
- Now enjoy the cake.