2 cups rice
1½ cup spinach
2 medium potatoes
1 medium tomato
1tsp cumin seeds
3 green chillies
half tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp ghee
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee. Add cumin, when they begin to change colour add tomato and sauté for a minute, add ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
- Add rice and spinach and sauté for two more minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water, salt, and gently stir.
- When it boils, reduce heat, cover and cook till rice/vegetables are cooked. Serve hot.
Garlicky Ivy Gourd
This is a very simple way of preparing ivy gourd. The same can be prepared by making it little spicy by adding little pepper/chilli powder. But I like it this way.
½ kg ivy gourd (tendli)
1 big pod garlic
3 dry chillies
2tsp olive oil/cooking oil
- Wash ivy gourd (tendli) and dry them. Keep them whole but remove the ends very slightly and crush them in the centre.
- Crush all the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a vessel. Add the crushed garlic and fry until it becomes light brown.
- Add the red chillies and fry
- Add the ivy gourd, fry on very slow fire for some time.
- Add half cup water and let it cook on low heat until done.
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
1kg chicken (cleaned & cut into small pieces)
½ coconut grated
3 onions chopped
8 long dried red chilies
3 green chilies
8 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin seeds
3tbsp coriander seeds
½tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
tamarind small piece
1 sliced onion
salt to taste
1 cup thick coconut milk
- Heat ghee in a vessel. Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and peppercorn. Sauté until it turns light brown.
- Add red chillies, garlic, green chilies.
- Add finely chopped onions and sauté till transparent.
- Add the grated coconut and roast for 5 minutes.
- Now remove this mixture in a plate and let it cool.
- Grind this to a smooth paste along with tamarind and turmeric.
- Heat 1tbsp ghee in a vessel. Fry a sliced onion until brown. Add chicken and fry for some time. Add the ground paste along with its water. Bring it to boil on medium heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or till the chicken is done. Just before putting off the fire add the thick coconut milk. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with sanna or kori roti.
Red Bean Salad
1 can Kidney beans
1 red/yellow capsicum chopped
2 green spring onions
2tbsp parsley/ coriander leaves
½ cup sprouted moong or chic peas
½ cup baby corn
1 cup tomatoes
1 clove garlic minced
2tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp olive oil
½ tsp pepper
Rinse kidney beans under cold water. Drain well.
In a large bowl combine all the vegetables. Mix separately garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and salt and pour over the salad. Mix gently and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Chicken Stuffed Sausage
I had tasted this starter at my friend Violet Pais’ house a few years back and really liked it. She gave me the recipe and ever since I have been preparing this starter. My children have always enjoyed eating chicken stuffed sausage.
500 gms minced Chicken
3 tsp Soya Sauce
5 green chillies finely chopped
1” ginger finely chopped
2tbsp bread crumbs
4-5 Chicken Sausages
½ tsp Pepper powder
Foil to roll
Mix all the above ingredients except for the sausages. Divide the mixture into four portions. Spread each portion of the mixture on a separate piece of foil. Place the sausage on the mixture on one end and gently roll it along with the sausage and twist the two ends of the foil like that of a chocolate. Steam the rolls for 20 minutes. Then open it and cut it into rounds.
This is a good starter and children normally enjoy having this chicken stuffed sausage dipped in tomato sauce. Do try it and let me know.
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup milk
¾ cup sugar
1tsp baking soda
½ cup oil
2tbsps walnuts and cashew nuts
- Heat milk and dates together for few minutes until the dates become soft. Remove the seeds.
- Add sugar and grind them to a smooth paste along with the milk in which it was soaked.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Sieve flour and baking soda. Add the flour little at a time and mix slowly.
- Add nuts and mix gently.
- Pre heat oven to 175°C. Bake the cake in a greased oven proof dish for 35 minutes.
- Make sure a tooth pick inserted comes out clean before you take out the cake. Cool it.
2½ cups finely grated carrot
2 cups all purpose flour
1½ cups sugar
½ cup oil
2tsp vanilla essence
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1½tsp cinnamon powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease the cake pan.
- Mix flour, cinnamon powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
- Beat eggs and sugar nicely until sugar is dissolved well. Add oil and mix again.
- Now add the flour little by little and mix well.
- Gently mix grated carrot and walnuts.
- Pour it into the cake pan and bake it for 45 minutes or until the top of the cake turns brown.